Aquatic Health and Safety Manger
January 17, 2023
January 17, 2023
January 17, 2023
WISE Mentoring Program
August 22, 2021
- 60 Minutes on 35 Microseconds: Impulse Noise from Weapons Fire
- ANSI/ASSP Z244.1 The Control of Hazardous Energy Lockout, Tagout and Alternative Methods
- Choosing Safety Consulting as a Career
- ISO 45001 Implementation and Organizational Barriers to Success
- Keys to Energizing Safety
- Put Your Team’s Safety on Auto Pilot: Harness the Power of Habits to Protect Your People and Your Bottom Line
- Selling Safety to the Front-Line Employee
Chapter President’s Message
Thank you for taking time out of your day to visit the website for the Chesapeake Chapter of the American Society of Safety Professionals. I hope that everyone had a great holiday and enjoyed some much-needed time with family and friends. With the holidays behind us, it is a great time to ‘re-foucs.’
With all of the challenges and distractions that we face in today’s world, it is often difficult to be truly present in the moment. It is important to recognize, and adjust, when our minds are not fully focused or present on the task at hand. All too often, we are physically present somewhere, but our focus and attention are not. We have all been in this position. For example, when driving, we may zone out for a few moments, only to realize that we have driven several miles, yet have no recollection of the drive. This kind of disconnect from the present moment can be extremely dangerous when at work or at home. Consider the following tips to help you re-focus:
- Take note of how well you are focusing and where your mind is at. From there, make the conscious choice to improve your focus and attention, if needed.
- When you are part of a discussion or receiving directions, make sure you are actively listening to the person speaking.
- Eliminate distractions
- Take a deep breath, before you
- Identify any personal concerns that are causing your mind to wander and not be fully present at work. If it is not possible to eliminate them, talk about them with your supervisor so they can help you address them accordingly.
It can be challenging to truly be present in the moment. Distractions such as; family obligations, politics, long hours, family, and overall stress may plague our ability to be fully engaged in the task at hand. Being present and focused is only possible when we take a step back and consider all of the steps necessary to complete that task.
Also… every 30 minutes, take 30 seconds, and look 30 feet around you to improve your focus and situational awareness.
2023 elections will be taking place in the coming months and we are hoping to see some new names on the ballot! Don’t let the many benefits that ASSP has to offer pass you by! The Chesapeake Chapter is one of the most active chapters in the nation, with monthly chapter ‘hybrid’ lunch and learns and multiple social events that take place during the day and in the evenings. In addition, we are actively recruiting members to serve on many committees. Regardless of the commitment that you are able to make, your assistance is needed and appreciated. If you are interested in being more active in the chapter, please reach out to me directly. Thank for taking the time to visit the website for the Chesapeake Chapter of the American Society of Safety Professionals.
ASSP Chesapeake Chapter President
Welcome and thank you for taking the time to join us at ASSP Chesapeake Chapter. There are many great reasons to join our chapter such as sharing of technical knowledge, professional development opportunities and networking. These interactions help to provide guidance, techniques and solutions to help OSH professionals prevent injuries, improve work environments and educate management. Another advantage is the free subscription to the professional journal Professional Safety, which offers in depth articles on best practices, leadership, standards, policy and regulation. Membership also helps you tap into a powerful audience with ASSP Media Solutions and other means to develop professionally. Our chapter is 392 members strong and still growing!
The ASSP organization itself is the oldest and largest professional safety organization. With more than 37, 000 members worldwide, it is a global association of occupational safety, health and environmental professionals that advances the interests of its members and the profession.
Please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions. Thanks again for taking the time to join us and we hope to see you again!